Annual Horsham Fishing Competition Inc. Official Rules 2016
All enquiries should be addressed to:
Horsham Fishing Competition
PO Box 47
Horsham VIC 3402
- The competitor’s entry in the competition is deemed to signify acceptance of all conditions and rules of this contest.
- The Fishing Contest shall be conducted on the Sunday of the Labour Day Weekend.
- The times of angling shall be between 7.30am and 3.00pm local Horsham time. Competitors must not fish prior to the start time on the day of the competition and may result in disqualification.
- The major prize is the choice of a car, boat, or campervan as outlined in the 2016 Horsham Fishing Competition 2016 Prize List. The winner is required to choose their prize within 48 hours of the end of the competition and all decisions are final.
- All prizes are non-transferable and non-refundable.
- People aged 5-15 on the day of the competition are eligible for the junior section. If they pay for a senior entry they can fish for the senior section prizes only. Children aged under 5 on the day of the competition are eligible to fish in the tiddler section only.
- Prizes not collected within 48 hours of the close of the contest will be deemed to be forfeited.
- It is clearly understood that the entry is accepted on the condition that any person or persons participating in the contest do so at their own sole risk and any such person shall NOT claim against the Horsham Fishing Competition Inc. (the committee) or any official or servant or other persons appointed by or acting on behalf of the said organisers or in connection with the contest for any injuries or loss suffered by himself or herself or any other person to by any act omission or negligence on the part of the committee or any other sponsors or official servants as aforesaid.
- Every entrant taking part in the contest shall indemnify the said Committee or other sponsors and the official servants and the other persons aforesaid against the claim by any other entrant or person whosoever or howsoever arising.
- The organisers may at any time before the commencement or during the Contest, refuse to accept and/or reject entry without assigning any reason thereof and without being in any way whatsoever liable to any person whatsoever for so doing.
- Participants will be bound by the regulations governing the Contest.
Unruly behaviour, including bad language or threatening towards any Horsham Fishing Competition committee member or volunteer will not be tolerated. This behaviour may incur immediate disqualification from the Horsham Fishing Competition at the discretion of the President or committee member.
- The organiser, or any person acting as an official at any time may:
- Inspect registered competitors, rods, reels, bait and fishing lines
- Instruct any competitor to conform to any or all the rules described herein
- Direct that competitors surrender their rodtags.
- All Angling will be in the Wimmera River at Horsham as defined by the organisers.
- All Angling shall be from the river bank
- Fishing from bridges, boats or craft is strictly prohibited. Fishing is prohibited on all islands with the exception of Adventure Island.
- Each contestant must fish within 2.5 metres of the left of their official stake.
- Each competitor is allowed to use TWO (2) rods, with a maximum of TWO (2) hooks per rod. Spinners count as TWO (2) hooks.
- Rod tags must be affixed to rods at all times during the contest. COMPETITORS MUST PRODUCE THEIR REGISTERED RODTAG BEFORE BEING PRESENTED WITH ANY PRIZE.
- Fish eligible for a prize MUST BE LANDED by the registered rodtag holder, on their own fishing rod.
- Tiddlers are able to have help landing a fish but must be present and holding rod at time of landing fish.
- No European Carp, Goldfish, dead or alive, are permitted as bait, as required by law. European Carp of any size MUST NOT be returned to the river.
- Size limits of eligible fish shall be as per the current Victorian Fisheries Regulations, excepting European Carp which has no bag or size limit. Redfin, Golden Perch, Silver Perch, Catfish and Tench have a minimum size of 30cm, Murray Cod 55 – 75cm. PLEASE NOTE: only carp measuring 30cm or greater will be weighed.
- Fish will be weighed on digital scales.
- Upon catching a legal size fish, all competitors must present their fish to a steward on the river bank. The steward shall remove the fish from the line, or instruct the competitor to remove the fish from the line, and attach a tag to the fish with the rod tag number recorded on the tag. They shall also record the fish and rod tag on their tally sheet.
- It is the competitor’s responsibility to ensure details recorded are correct. Competitors are required to sign the steward’s record book to confirm that the fish tag is correct, legible and securely attached to the fish.
- Any fish is eligible for one prize only.
- The chief referee may disqualify any fish for reasons such as: fish not legal as per Victorian fishing regulations; was not landed by the angler who holds the rod tag; was tethered or imported from another waterway.
- If an angler is disqualified for breeching of the rules, the entrance fee will not be refunded.
- Protests must be lodged personally to the referee table no later than 3.30pm, local Horsham time, on the day of the competition.
- Pegging of the river is NOT permitted except by the use of the OFFICIAL STAKE. ROPING OF THE RIVER IS NOT PERMITTED EVEN WITH THE USE OF OFFICIAL STAKES.
- No stakes will be handed out before 8am on the Saturday one week prior to the competition. No Stakes are allowed into the river before this time.
- A Victorian Recreational Fishing Licence is required, by law, for all Anglers aged 18 or over, except where specific exemptions apply.
- All fish caught and handed into the stewards WILL NOT be returned to the participant. Carp are properly disposed of and native fish are released into the river.
- European Carp are not eligible for prizes, other than those specifically stated as Carp prizes in the prizelist. If there are not enough native fish caught to win all prizes, in this circumstance only, the heaviest carp/tench caught during the competition shall be awarded any remaining prizes on a heaviest weight basis.
If two (or more) eligible fish are of the same weight, the fish weighed earliest, as per weigh-in book, will be eligible for the prize, or higher ranked prize.
- All Signs must be observed.
- Failure to comply with signs, or co-operate with fishing competition officials may render contestants liable to disqualification, without refund of entry fee.
- No camping is permitted within 20 metres of river’s edge, or between fenced revegetation areas and the river.
- An up-to-date plan of camping areas will be available from the Soundshell. Please note, there may be changes from last year.
- All noise, including music, is to be kept at a minimum between 9.30pm and 6am. Event organisers reserve the right to ask campers to leave the river if noise rules are not adhered to. Anyone removed from the river bank will also be disqualified from the competition.
- Some areas have restrictions on camping. Please observe signs on the river bank.
- Swimming is NOT permitted within the defined fishing competition area between midnight on the Saturday prior the competition, until 4pm on the day of the competition.
- NOTE the fishing competition is conducted on farming land, private land and public parks. Please respect these areas-our use of these areas is a PRIVILEGE, not a right.
- Garbage containers are supplied. All rubbish is to be placed in them.
- All camp fires must adhere to Country Fire Authority regulations.
Time of Contest
The Fishing Contest shall be conducted on the Sunday of the Labour Day Weekend.
The times of angling shall be between 7.30am and 3.00pm local Horsham time.
Any competitor found fishing between 6.30am and 7.30am local Horsham time on the day of the competition shall be disqualified.
Advertising Errors & Omissions
In the event of any advertisement or publication printed by the Horsham Fishing Competition committee. We assume no liability for any errors published. CONTRAVENTION OF ANY RULE OR REGULATION SHALL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION.
Personal Information collected by the Horsham Fishing Competition is used for the purpose of the Horsham Fishing Competition. Including but not necessarily limited to fish tracking, publication of prize winners and competition mailouts. Your personal information will not be given to any other organisations except where required by law.