Annual Horsham Fishing Competition Inc. Official Rules 2021
Only those who have both paid to participate in the 2021 Annual Horsham Fishing Competition, are over eighteen (18) years AND are a licensed fisherman may bring and consume alcohol at the competition. Any persons offending breaching this rule will be removed from the area and may be fined by Horsham Council Officers or Victoria Police.
The competiton will be operating under Victorian COVIDSafe Event guidelines at the time of the competition. The Horsham Fishing Competition is registered with the Department of Jobs Precincts and Regions (DJPR). You can read a copy of our COVIDSafe Event Checklist.
General Contest Information
All enquiries should be addressed to
Horsham Fishing Competition
PO Box 47,
Horsham, Vic. 3402
Please be aware there have been some changes to the fishing area, and these are marked on the official online map.
- The competitor’s entry in the competition is deemed to signify acceptance of all conditions and rules of this contest.
- The Fishing Contest shall be conducted on the Sunday of the Labour Day Weekend.
- All prizes are non-transferable and non-refundable
- People aged up to 15 on the day of the competition are eligible for the junior section. If they pay for a senior entry they can fish for the senior section prizes only.
- Only Fish caught in the Areas designated on the official map, as can be found on the website, can be submitted for registration.
- Fish measurements will be to the complete centimetre (e.g. if a fish measures 43.6cm, it will be recorded as 43cm).
- Prizes not collected within 48 hours of the close of the contest will be deemed to be forfeited.
- It is clearly understood that the entry is accepted on the condition that any person or persons participating in the contest do so at their own sole risk and any such person shall NOT claim against the Horsham Fishing Competition Inc. (the committee) or any official or servant or other persons appointed by or acting on behalf of the said organisers or in connection with the contest for any injuries or loss suffered by himself or herself or any other person to by any act omission or negligence on the part of the committee or any other sponsors or official servants as aforesaid.
- Every entrant taking part in the contest shall indemnify the said Committee or other sponsors and the official servants and the other persons aforesaid against the claim by any other entrant or person whosoever or howsoever arising.
- The organisers may, at any time before the commencement or during the Contest, refuse to accept and/or reject entry without assigning any reason thereof and without being in any way whatsoever liable to any person whatsoever for so doing.
- Participants will be bound by the regulations governing the Contest.
- ROPING OF THE RIVER IS NOT PERMITTED
- There are no official stakes this year. Angling spots are first in best dressed and are only considered ‘taken’ where another angler is currently fishing from that spot. You must allow 2.5 metres from the nearest angler to allow room for everyone to fish comfortably and safely.
- You can move fishing spots as long as it is within the designated fishing area according to the official online map.
- Unruly behaviour, including bad language or threatening towards another person will not be permitted. This behaviour may incur immediate disqualification from the Horsham Fishing Competition at the discretion of the President or committee member.
Measuring and Verification Procedure
Prize Winning Fish will be based on length & not weight.
Major Prizes will be available for longest fish in each species (Yellowbelly, Silver Perch, Catfish & Redfin) and also as random draws.
You will need either a digital Camera or Mobile Phone
‘Catch, Photograph & Release’ of all legal-sized eligible fish (Yellowbelly, Silver Perch, Catfish, Redfin and Carp). You will be required to photograph your fish, nose to zero end and stomach facing the photographer on a clearly readable measuring device, brag mat, ruler or the like. The photograph must clearly include your Horsham Fishing Competition Angler Identification Card and visibly show the fish nose on the zero end and where the fish tail finishes. Once the photo has been taken, all fish must be released alive and in a healthy condition as soon as possible with the exception of carp, which should be taken to a collecting point for correct disposal.
Photo must be presented (in person or via SMS text message, confirming name & entrant number) during the competition hours (6.30am to 3pm). Distorted, undistinguishable, unreadable and blurry photos will not be accepted.
If your fish has the potential to be one of the longest in each species, you will be required to present your measuring device to the Admin Office at the Soundshell for calibration prior to 3.30pm. Committee will be posting live updates on Facebook with Angler Identification numbers confirming the current leaderboard.
In the event of a tie, the earliest registered fish of the same length/species will be declared.
CATCH, PHOTOGRAPH, RELEASE INSTRUCTIONS
- Catch your fish (Any of the four eligible species over 30cm). All fish, other than carp, less than 30cm must be returned to the river ASAP. No fish under 30cm in length is eligible to be registered.
- Place fish on measuring device, nose to zero end, stomach facing photographer.
- Place Angler Identification card on or near fish so it is visible in the photo.
- Take clear photograph from above capturing nose, tail, measurement and ID all in one.
- Release your Fish.
- Send your photo for verification during the competition hours (Sunday 6.30am – 3pm). If you cannot submit your photograph before 3.10pm, please call or text headquarters so we are aware of your entry.
- The committee will contact anglers who need to present their phone/camera and measuring device for calibration. This contact will be made on the mobile number against the angler identification number at the time of registration.
Horsham Fishing Competition registration card and competitor ID number
As part of your registration process you will be required to collect your Horsham Fishing Competition Angler Identification Card which includes your Competitor ID Number. This will be available to collect on Friday 5th March between 3pm & 7pm and Saturday between 8am & 5pm at the Soundshell / Angling Clubrooms
If you have any questions or queries, please contact the Horsham Fishing Competition Committee on 0439 826 187
- The event will target Golden Perch / Yellowbelly, Silver Perch, Catfish, Redfin and European Carp. No other species can be registered.
- The event will be Catch & Release, other than for European Carp which will be collected and disposed of.
- Only Fish 30cm or longer can be registered.
- No European Carp can be returned to the river, all are to be taken to collection points for disposal.
- The organiser, or any person acting as an official at any time during the competition may:
- Inspect registered competitors rods, reels, bait and fishing lines
- Instruct any competitor to conform to any or all the rules described herein
- Direct that competitors surrender their identification card.
- All Angling will be in the Wimmera River at Horsham between the Horsham Weir and the Riverside bridge, as per the official online map.
- All Angling shall be from the river bank.
- The times of angling shall be between 6.30am and 3.00pm local Horsham time. Competitors must not fish prior to the start time on the day of the competition; failure to adhere to this will result in disqualification.
- No photos received after 3.10pm can be registered.
- Fishing from bridges, boats or craft is strictly prohibited. Fishing is prohibited on all islands, with the exception of Adventure Island.
- Fishing is permitted from the fishing pontoons, however please make sure these pontons are available to anglers with a disability.
- An effort must be made to cast lines towards the middle of the river so as not to cross lines with other contestants.
- Each competitor is allowed to use TWO (2) rods, with a maximum of TWO (2) hooks per rod. Spinners count as TWO (2) hooks.
- Each competitor will be given an Angler Identification Card (AIC) with a unique code. This is to be shown clearly in any photos of fish for registration.
- Fish eligible for a prize MUST BE LANDED by the registered angler, on their own fishing rod.
- Anglers with a disability or Injury that means they are unable to land a fish independently can have help, however they must be present and as involved in landing the fish as they are able.
- Anglers entered in the Junior competition may have help landing a fish but must be present and involved.
- See above for instructions on measuring landed fish and verification procedures.
- The chief referee may disqualify any fish for reasons including, but not limited to, fish not legal as per Victorian fishing regulations; a fish was not landed by the angler who is registered to that Angler Identification Card was tethered or imported from another waterway or waterbody.
- If an angler is disqualified for breaching of the rules, the entrance fee will not be refunded.
- Protests must be lodged personally to the referee table no later than 3.30pm, local Horsham time, on the day of the competition.
- To avoid gatherings, the presentation will be streamed live via Facebook from 3.30pm Sunday 7th March
- A Victorian Recreational Fishing Licence is required, by law, for all Anglers aged 18 or over, except where specific exemptions apply.
- If two (or more) eligible fish are of the same length, the fish registered earliest, will be eligible for the prize, or higher ranked prize.
Fishing Section and Lucky Door Prizes
- Prizes will be awarded to longest of each of the following species caught by a senior entrant: Catfish, Golden Perch / Yellowbelly, Redfin and Silver Perch
- Prizes will be awarded to the longest of each of the following species caught by a junior entrant: Catfish, Golden Perch / Yellowbelly, Redfin and Silver Perch
- Length is to the completed centimetre (cm). Length will be rounded down to the nearest centimetre.
- Prizes will be awarded the five longest Carp caught by senior entrants.
- Prizes will be awarded the two longest Carp caught by junior entrants
- 3 Senior bag prizes will be awarded, they will be determined by cumulative length of five longest carp caught by each senior angler.
- There will be a random draw of prizes for all senior entrants who catch and register a Yellowbelly, Catfish, Silver Perch or Redfin
- There will be a random draw of prizes for all junior entrants who catch and register a Yellowbelly, Catfish, Silver Perch or Redfin
- Each Catfish, Yellowbelly, Silver Perch and Redfin caught will get an entry in to the random fish draw as per entry type, Junior or Senior
- There will be randomly drawn lucky door prizes for all senior entries
- There will be randomly drawn lucky door prizes for all junior entries
- All randomly drawn prizes will be drawn in descending order of value as per the prize list which will be available before the competition
- All Signs must be observed.
- Some areas have restrictions on camping.
- Failure to comply with signs, or co-operate with fishing competition officials may render contestants liable to disqualification, without refund of entry fee.
- No camping is permitted within 20 metres of river’s edge, or between fenced revegetation areas and the river.
- An up-to-date plan of camping areas will be available from the Soundshell and on our website. Please note, there may be changes from last year.
- All noise, including music, is to be kept at a minimum between 9.30pm and 6am. Event organisers reserve the right to ask campers to leave the river if noise rules are not adhered to. Anyone removed from the riverbank will also be disqualified from the competition
- Swimming is NOT permitted within the defined fishing competition area between midnight on the Saturday prior the competition, until 4pm on the day of the competition.
- NOTE the fishing competition is conducted on farming land, private land and public parks. Please respect these areas – our use of these areas is a PRIVILEGE, not a right.
- Garbage containers are supplied. All rubbish is to be placed in them.
- All camp fires must adhere to Country Fire Authority regulations. They must be attended at all times and FULLY EXTINGUISED before being left. If you are not prepared to walk bare foot over them do not leave them.
- Any competitor found fishing before 6.30am local Horsham time on the day of the competition shall be disqualified.
Advertising Errors and Omissions
In the event of any advertisement or publication printed by the Horsham Fishing Competition committee. We assume no liability for any errors published. CONTRAVENTION OF ANY RULE OR REGULATION SHALL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION.
Personal Information collected by the Horsham Fishing Competition is used for the purpose of the Horsham Fishing Competition. Including but not necessarily limited to fish tracking, publication of prize winners and competition mailouts. Your personal information will not be given to any other organisations except where required by law.